Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TGJFRT of 2012 - Day 9

Friday was the long-awaited river rafting trip.  Months ago dad suggested this; I guess it was on his bucket list. Because of our kids (and my complete lack of adrenaline-junkieness), we opted for the tamer family float option - consisting of Class I and II rapids - as opposed to the whitewater - Class III, IV and V - rapids.  Also, as the likelihood of ending up in the water is less, the family trip did not necessitate wearing neoprene. Imagine my disappointment.

We met in Gold Bar, where we then (after signing the requisite insurance waivers and hearing the first of at least two safety speeches) were trucked to the drop site. Our group consisted of our two guides, mine and part of my sister's brood, for a grand total of 6 adults and 6 kids in two large rafts.

But before launching we heard safety speech number two, which consisted of all the ways we could possibly drown in the river. "Do not swim in shallow water; your foot can get trapped in a rock and the current will push you over and you will drown!" "If you encounter a strainer [a place where a tree or other object protrudes out into the water] you must hoist yourself onto the top of the strainer as it pushes the water through or you will drown!" "If we get stuck on an object, and your guide yells 'high side', everyone must move to the front of the boat in order to dislodge from said object!"

Well, I can tell you, at this point I was about ready to call it a day.  But when we very quickly made it to the first set of rapids, and then proceeded to get lodged on the rocks and had to "high side"', I was contemplating how I was going to get the heck off of that river.  Did I mention I'm not an adrenaline junkie?  I may or may not have glared at Jack with clenched teeth and declared I was never, not ever, doing this again.

But I kept a white-knuckled grip on my paddle (did I mention we had to row?) and kept going...and after I got used to it, it wasn't so bad....  The boys loved it.  On this particular stretch of the Skykomish, where the water is deep enough (you know, so your feet don't get trapped in the rocks and the current doesn't sweep you over and you DROWN), the boys could jump in and swim.  We're talking 20-30 feet deep in some spots.  Oh, and just two days prior this water had been snow and ice up in the mountains, so it was coooold.  Like 45 degrees, take your breath away cold.  But most of the boys got in anyway...at least until they were numb...which didn't take long.

We had packed a lunch, so stopped along the river to picnic. But not for a drink.  At least not me.  Cause you know what they don't have along the river?  Bathrooms.  If you're a boy, or anyone prepared to get in the 45 degree water, you could remedy the situation, but, alas, for me, it was not to be.

For about the last half of the trip, the current slowed down, and we were met with a pretty decent breeze blowing against us, so we ended up rowing quite a bit. Whew.

It really was a beautiful trip down the river - the water was clear, the sky blue; it was a perfect weather day.  And, now that I've done it once, I guess I'd do it again.

But first, I need to go to the bathroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment