Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fugitive Emissions...and April 1st Verse

Well, Happy April Fool's Day.  Huh?  What would be the appropriate greeting for this day?  Maybe it's just 'gotcha!'  And don't we all LOVE being gotten.  Or not.

We really aren't big "April Fooler's" around here (I'm sure the boys would get a kick out of it if we were and I've already heard them "April Fooling" each other this morning); growing up we did our share of filling the sugar bowl with salt and vice versa, swapping the salt & pepper, etc.  Pretty tame stuff, I admit.  These days I guess I don't have the creativity (or energy) to put into coming up with any big stunts.  And, to be perfectly honest, I don't really want anything extra to clean up either.

I was stumped for a verse this time so I went back to the March 6th post on the Living Proof blog.  Beth had us all post a scripture to encourage us in strength, power and victory and the comments are a treasure trove of potential memory verses.  I came across several that I liked, but chose this one.  2 Cor 2:14 (NASB), "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place."

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I have found myself being slightly attitudinally-challenged lately.  Yes, that's an official self-diagnosis.  I know (from some of my past experience being attitudinally-challenged) that one powerful prescription for that malady is thankfulness.  So what better than a verse that just starts right out with a big ole "thanks be to God"?  A little reminder of our triumph in Christ - always - isn't a bad thing either.

Jack had to take some training down at one of the plants a year or so ago and came home with a new phrase that we all found amusing - because we're sophisticated like that.  The phrase is "fugitive emissions" - emissions of gases or vapors from pressurized equipment due to leaks and various other unintended or irregular releases of gases.  (Thanks, Wikipedia...you said it so much more eloquently than I ever could have.)

We've all smelled it.  You're driving near a refinery and all of a sudden...whoa, what died?!  Well, there you have it...fugitive emissions.  Needless to say, with three boys in the house, this phrase has become a favorite.  For obvious reasons that shall remained unstated.  Boy howdy, could our house use some aromatic assistance from time to time....

I actually can't think of much that would be better than being a walking diffuser of HIM wherever I go.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea: Based on that comment, I am inspired (and really can't think of anything else to wash over fugitive emissions except):

    Proverbs 27:9 Perfume and incense make the heart glad, also friendship sweet with advice from the heart. CJB

    I'd say get you some perfume and incense, and a couple of good friends to the house right away. Posthaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...she is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come...proverbs 31:25
    obviously i am reading "so long insecurities" by Beth Moore so it is appropriate for me to memorize this verse.
    aunt andrea...you are so funny...i always so love reading your posts. fugitive emissions...i was thinking when our emissions (negativity) takes captive others...it was on my heart that what we say to or about others can really hurt them weather they hear it or not (word curses)...as i was reading what you posted, this was put on my heart for me.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete