Saturday, October 16, 2010

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...Oct 15th verse (20)

We've been having the kind of weather that makes people want to move here.

The boys and I either biked or walked to the playground four days this week.  (Well, I biked two days and walked the others.  While it may be true that one never forgets how to ride a bike, one's posterior may need some readjusting....)  Our neighborhood playground is tucked away behind some houses with lots of tall pine trees almost completely shading it.  And it is vintage playground.  No primary-colored plastic interactive multi-purpose play structures here.

There is a large metal swing set with 6 swings on one side.  Another large metal swing set with 6 faded baby/toddler swings on the other.  Metal monkey bars.  A metal merry-go-round.  Are you getting the metal theme?  Lots of nice hard surfaces.  Old school, I tell ya.  And they love it.

And today, just like last Saturday (which I do realize is the 16th and not the 15th and I'm a day late posting my verse), was spent outdoors.  Carpentry style.  Sam and I drove up to my mom and dad's house so my dad, who is a major handyman-and-fix-it guru, could help Sam with his Boy Scout Carpentry Merit Badge.  (My dad took wood shop every year in high school, and was his teacher's favorite.  I totally get why.)

Here's a picture of the almost completed project.  In case you can't tell, it's a book trough/shelf that will sit at the end of my avid reader/book-a-holic's bed.  (Hmmm, wonder where he gets that?)  Next week he'll add trim and then paint it.  I think it's going to look great and he's done a super job working on it with MacGyver Grandpa.  We did let the professional handle the use of the shrieking, saber toothed table saw though.













And in other news, I've been re-infected with the decorating bug.  It lurks below the surface, then, usually after I've been in the company of others who are infected (and you know who you are), it rears a "needs-to-be-sanded-primed-and-painted" head.  Or a "pull-out-a-hundred-staples-so-you-can-change-that-ugly-red-fabric-seat-cover-to-some-cute-burlap".  As shown below....  Thankfully (at least Jack thinks so) it comes and goes.



















Well, I'm sure I've got lots of other earth-shattering news that's fit to print, but it's getting close to bedtime and I had better help feed the posse and herd them off to dreamland.  And I'd also like to collapse on the couch with some Goode Company BBQ and give some serious thought to thanking my lucky stars I'm in Texas.  Except it seems like they've gotten a little proud of their BBQ.  So next time I might just give some serious thought to thanking my lucky stars that I'm saving a few sawbucks at the BBQ joint down the road.

Without further ado (you're welcome), here's my verse.

Psalm 30:1-3 NIV
I will exalt you, O LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me.  O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.  O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit.

4 comments:

  1. I always love to hear about what's going on... Tell Sam great job on the shelf. Our pop's a gem.

    For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. Proverbs 2:6-8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics. Sam is sooooo big!

    2 Corinthians 2:15-16: For we are to God the aroma of Messiah among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - Sam did a really good job! Does he make toy chests?

    Psalm 139:20
    "They speak of You with evil intent; Your adversaries misuse Your name."

    -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I get one of those trough/bookshelves things? I guess I have to wait for my Webelos to become a scout!

    I wrote out my verse, but forgot to post it!

    John 1:18

    No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

    ReplyDelete