Monday, November 15, 2010

All about Martha...no, not the one in the Bible...and verse 22

You know, there's a lot of hard stuff in the world.  Your hard stuff probably isn't like my hard stuff...and vice versa.  But it's all still hard when you're the one walking in it.

I know, I know.  Deep.

I just wanted to throw that out there.  I don't want y'all to think that this wee little peek into my corner of the world is all brightness and light and fluff...  I mean, my life, for some of its challenges, is pretty darn good, but I don't want anyone to think I take their hardships lightly.  Not that you think that.  I'm just saying.

PMS, much?

Okay, moving on....  I did say this was all about Martha, right?  Maybe we should talk about Christmas table decorations now.  How's that for lightening the mood?

We had a lovely ladies' day at church Saturday and as part of the day's events, I was asked, along with three others, to decorate a holiday themed table.  (Boy, have I got everyone fooled; they think I've got this decorating thing down pat.)  The idea was that the ladies in attendance could view them and get ideas for their holiday tables.  Two were Thanksgiving-themed; two were Christmas-themed.

Now, I don't consider myself a great table designer - a decent enough one, I 'spose - but as one who is primarily left-brained, I've got a few rules I've learned over the years and I am happy to share them.  They're not particularly earth-shattering insights, but you're welcome to them.


Not the actual table.  I recreated this at home, just so I could
take a picture for you.  I know, that's love.  And excuse the
wrinkles, please, they weren't there at the real deal.
















1.  Borrow stuff.

You don't have to own everything yourself.  (And unless you have unlimited finances and unlimited space, you probably shouldn't.  Just a thought from your frugalicious friend.)

My friend, Nay, (who actually IS one of those incredibly gifted decorator types) has some vintage dishes that belonged to her Ma.  (That's a grandmother, for those of you who aren't from East Texas.)  She was happy to loan them to me and they were part of the inspiration for my theme.

2.  Check out decorator blogs and websites.

There are gazillions (really, I counted) of blogs by incredibly talented people with lots of time on their hands, not to mention store websites like Pottery Barn, our friend Martha, Southern Living, etc.

Copy them, y'all.

Okay, seriously.  Check them out.  Creativity breeds creativity.  Their ideas may spur ideas of your own.  (Is that the right word?  Anyway, you know what I mean.)

3.  Translate trends to your table top.

I used a piece of burlap as a table overlay.  Burlap is a popular trend right now, at least on some of the blogs I've seen.  And nature is a great holiday theme, although not one I've used a lot.

4.  Combine textures.

I liked the contrast of burlap with shiny red chargers.  Juxtapose (how do you like that fancy word?) opposite textures, finishes, etc.  Use a silk overlay, with brown, woven rattan chargers....

5.  Create staggered heights and use odd numbers.

Use upside down bowls or a book under a bunched up piece of fabric to create staggered heights.  Also, odd numbered groupings tend to work well together.  Remember not to make your centerpieces too tall...although I broke that rule for my display table.  (Heh,heh...do as I say, not as I do...)

6.  Have a Martha Stewart-type Peep.

Now, I realize this one won't apply to everyone, but if at all possible, it is very helpful if one of your Peeps (and in my case, I have access to both Peeps and sisters...I know, I know, how lucky can a girl be?) can give Martha Stewart a run for her money.  First, you call her, and during one of your chats, talk about your table ideas.  Mention that you found cute little red bird ornaments for a placecard. Conveniently have your stuff out when she comes by so she can see what you're working with, or set up a dry run and email pictures.  (Hey, make that technology work for you.  This also works when you don't know what outfit to wear for something.  But that's a separate post.)

Go when she tells you to meet her at Hobby Lobby.  Listen when she tells you that the little bird's nests you found in the floral department are too small and you need the medium size, not the small.  Because, really?  Does a bird not like a little extra room in her nest?  Listen when she says, "You know what would be cute?" And then make the little shepherd's crook out of black wire and stand it up in the bird's nest with a little name tag cut in an oval with cute scalloped scissors hanging from it.

Then, don't forget to act humble when you get "oohs" and "aahs" about how cute the little bird's nests with the name tags hanging on the wee little shepherd's crook are....















So, there you have it.  How to decorate a holiday table in six, easy steps.  Or not.  And, what the heck.  If you don't give a hoot and just feel like using paper plates, go for it.

Unless Martha Stewart is coming to dinner, of course.

Well, gosh.  I've gotten so distracted talking about decor-related fun, that I just about forgot to add my verse.  I'm continuing on with Psalm 30.

Psalm 30:6-7, NIV
When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken."  O LORD, when You favored me, You made my mountain stand firm; but when You hid your face, I was dismayed.

That's all I've got for now.  Talk to you later...I have to go clean up a broken, supposedly enviromentally-friendly, yet mercury-laden lightbulb.  The fun, it never stops.

4 comments:

  1. Since we are getting close to the end of the year I am going to try to start putting the whole chapter together:

    Psalm 139:1-22
    "You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—when I awake, I am still with you. If only you, God, would slay the wicked! Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty! They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name. Do I not hate those who hate you, LORD, and abhor those who are in rebellion against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies."

    -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ, just as He chose us in Jesus before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In Love, God predestined us to adoption as sons through Jeses Christ to Himself according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved (Jesus). In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace,which He lavished on us...... Ephesians 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. I typed all that in iPhone with no computer Internet any more so excuse errors. :). Especially to our dear Yeshua! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table is so... beautiful. I think you could be a Martha Stewart peep.

    My verse -

    Romans 11:33

    Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God; How unsearchable are His judgements and unfathomable His ways.

    ReplyDelete