Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15th Verse

So many verses; so little time.
 
It's lame, I know, but choosing my next verse is hard for me.  Kind of like going to the Cheesecake Factory - for crying out loud, they have a lot of choices.  Although if you go, you really should try the Avocado Eggrolls.  But I digress....

There are so many verses I should know as a Christian, some that I need in my daily walk, others that help me know more about who God is and His promises.  I don't want one too short (Jesus wept, anyone?).  I don't want one too long (read that: challenging).  I console myself with the truth that ANY Word is good.

On another note, I got to my favorite part of Job this morning (which is partly my favorite because it makes sense and I find Job to be a somewhat confusing book, but anyhoo) right at the end where God finally speaks up after Job and all his friends have been going on and on.  He tells Job to "gird up your loins"; in other words, get ready to take it like a man, cause I'm gonna dish.  And then He does.  But a couple of verses stuck out to me.  In Job 38:22-23 it says, "Have you entered the storehouse of the snow, or seen the armory of the hail, which I reserve for the time of trouble, for the day of war and battle?"

When I was a teenager, just to irritate my sister (which I try not to do anymore), when she would start questioning me about something, I'd calmly say "I've got it under control," (with great superiority in my voice, of course).  I think that's what God was saying to Job (and to us).  We don't see the whole picture - only what is immediately visible to us.  We've got an enemy, an adversary.  Sometimes they may even have skin on them.  But our God has a whole stash of hail, on hold, in reserve, with that enemy's name on it.  He's got your back.  He's in control.  In the right time, somebody's going down.

Well, enough rambling.  I guess I should get to my verse now, although I sure do like that Job one.  For this time I'm going to memorize Exodus 34:6-7a, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin."  NASB


I've enjoyed our Scripture memory adventure so far.  On a technical note, if you are commenting anonymously (without a registered login), if you don't mind, would you please include your name in your comments?  No pressure - this is a laid back blog, mind you - but it's nice to see who's on this trip with us.  If you're continuing on with a verse from the first two weeks, you can just say that too.

Your turn.

12 comments:

  1. Re-posting, Andy - just for you my sweet, anal sister! :)

    Nadine said...
    Very excited about memorizing God's word and looking expectantly toward all He will do in 2010! (Now that I've finally gotten the whole "post" thing down maybe I can figure out how to post a pic of myself later. Hee, Hee!)

    2nd memory verse for January:

    Psalm 9:10
    Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, O Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - so I am joining a little late. This year I would like to memorize all of Psalm 139 (which conveniently has 24 verses). Since I am playing catch-up, I am currently working on the following 2 verses:

    (1) O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
    (2) You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

    - Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I got my little spiral card book, verses starting leaping up at me every time I read something. So I am writing them in my handy dandy notebook to save for the coming months.

    My second January verse is

    Romans 8:31
    What then shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?


    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still on the 2nd verse in the one I posted a few days ago.
    -Sara Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might steal Nadine's verse, but not her .... comment. :) I'll be back.
    Andrea, what a great message today prior to the verse. I am printing IT to read it.....it touched a sweet spot and ministered to me.

    Thank you.
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your encouragement ..Keep on the good work..We CAN do this together...IS FUN!!
    Dios Les Bendiga!!!!
    "Open the gates
    that the righteous nation may enter,
    the nation that keeps faith."
    Isaiah26:2

    Marilisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. My second verse: I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I hae learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want. I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
    Phillipians 4:12-13 I want to work on leaning on God more, instead of trying to do things in my own strength. I want to complain less, and be thankful more!
    Becki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because I'm lazy, for now I'm just memorizing what you are, Andrea.

    -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I am behind in posting...but truly a verse did not come to me until today. Actually, two verses. I'm not trying to be a big dawg or nothing...

    Proverbs 19: "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is his glory to overlook an offense." Why this? who doesn't need patience? how many times in a day does the opportunity of offense arise?

    Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Why this? Cause when I crawled into my bed at my parents house last night...there was a framed print with "Leslie" (notice it is with an 'e'), the meaning of my name "Calm Spirit" and then this verse. How appropriate, what a wonderful Word to make into a daily prayer.

    The End... p.s. thanks Andy, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops, sorry I forgot...it is Proverbs 19:11

    and..."Calm Spirit" describing me? Hmmm, doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, my previous verse was a really long one and i am going to stick with it for this month...i should have halfed it between last month and this one. that verse-means a great deal...it is so powerful to me when i read it.
    Aunt Andrea...I loved what you said...it really spoke to me...especially needing to be reminded He does have it under control even though I keep asking "where are you at?"...in our short sale of our house, hee hee...thank you and i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Better late than never. If that were a verse, I would be memorizing it. Here's the real McCoy:
    Direct my footsteps according to your word; let ne sin rule over me...I run in the path of your commands for you have set my heart free.
    Ps. 119:133, 32
    Paula

    ReplyDelete