Sunday, January 31, 2010

Locked and Loaded...and Feb 1 Verse

I am so enjoying seeing the verses you chose...and some of the respective comments as to why you chose your particular verse crack me up!

It's a great thing to have these verses in our arsenal.  That's really what they become in our lives - a storehouse of weapons to draw upon when we wage war in our minds against fears, worries, vain imaginations.  Be anxious for nothing, quoted frequently, because it is a necessary reminder that we are to - guess what? - be anxious for nothing.

The weapons we fight with, Paul tells us, are NOT the weapons of this world.  And here's the part I really like.  ON THE CONTRARY.  I mean, it's a good thing to have worldly weapons when you need them.  But wait!  That's not all!  Can't you just see it?  It's like he's just getting started, just getting his engines revved up, and here he comes with the "now-look-here-just-you-wait-a-cotton-pickin-minute".  (Maybe he was from South Israel.)  And I bet there's some serious finger-stabbing-in-the-air going on too.  And then, the real kicker...they, these weapons of ours, have DIVINE POWER to demolish strongholds.

He uses some strong words - depending on your translation, words like pulling down, destroying, destruction, demolish, tear down, take captive.  (Some of my boys' favorites - both in word and in deed.)  Those thoughts that set themselves up against the knowledge of God are not going to go quietly.  The enemy doesn't respond to a "pretty please".  He pays no attention to a polite, gentle, "if you don't mind please leave me alone" and doesn't just lay down and give up.  ON THE CONTRARY.  We have to demolish his arguments, tear down thoughts, take captive every high thing that has the audacity to come against what God says is so.  Hence, the strong words and the need for powerful arms.

There's a phrase from military circles that means that your weapon has its magazine in place, is ready to fire, and you are ready for action.  It's applicable to us as well.  We have to be locked and loaded and ready to take some thoughts captive. 

Okay, then....so on to my verse.  Here's what I'm memorizing this go-round:

Romans 6:5-7 NLT, "Since we have been united with Him in His death, we will also be raised as He was.  Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives.  We are no longer slaves to sin.  For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin."

Set free.  That's some good stuff there.

I look forward to seeing yours.

9 comments:

  1. "The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and full of mercy. He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His lovingkindness, and as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions. Psalm 103: 8,10-14

    Been in my thoughts all week....created a song so it was easy to memorize.....I love this one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new verse has captured me this morning for the "valentine" month........"Adonai, teach me your way, so that I can live by your truth; make me single-hearted, so that I can fear your name. I will thank you, Adonai my God, with my whole heart; and I will glorify your name forever. For your GRACE toward me is SO GREAT!" JNTP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finding myself drawn to a similar theme - Freedom! Those enemies are so defeated. We just have to remind them of it.

    My verse-
    Colossians 2:13,14
    When you were dead in you sins and in the uncircumsion of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having cancelled the written code with its regualtions, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; HE took it away, nailing it to the cross.

    Praise God - there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Every morning I will destroy ( silence ) ALL the wicked of the land,so as to cut off from the city of the LORD all those who do iniquity."
    Psalm 101:8

    Yes, Eve the enemy is defeated and everymorning HE will silence them!!!!!!! PRAISE YOU JESUS..
    And because He promise it. sin will NO longer have power over our live..
    Great verses for this round ..Thank you ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you...those whom you let remain shall be irritants in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they shall harass you in the land where you dwell.
    Numbers 33:55
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psalm 139:3 "You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways."

    - Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this at Andy's house and really liked it.

    Isaiah 50:4
    The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "So I sent messengers to them, saying, "I am doing a great work and I cannot come down.Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?" Nehemiah 6:3

    We are all doing "great works" for God and we don't need to stop what we are doing to go down and "discuss" things with the enemy! If we do that his plan to distract us and stop the work has already been accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry... nehemiah 6:3 was from sara fernandez : )

    ReplyDelete