Sunday, January 30, 2011

Do those come in a bigger size?

I got some disappointing news this afternoon.  It's not the end of the world, lest you be concerned and think that "the world is ending in May 2011" billboards are correct.  (And if they are, then "oops" - my bad.)  In fact, most people might not even think it a big deal.  But to me it was a shock.  The news that a program where my kids have attended once a week, my oldest for eight years now, is ending, and to say it completely took me by surprise is an understatement.  The proverbial kick in the gut.

I sat on the couch and bawled and ranted to my husband for an hour.  (He's a very patient man.)

This was my community.  It wasn't just about a one day a week break from my kids, because not all of my kids attend.  But it was about community.  And connecting.  Friendships forged over science projects and a shared love of Legos.  About a school experience for my home schooled rug rats.  Turkey parades.  Christmas parties.  Ice cream socials.  Field day.  School pictures.  Adorable preschoolers who want to hug you goodbye, and in the blink of an eye are in sixth grade and wearing men's tennis shoes.  Chatting with moms while boys (and the brave girl) run amok outside.  Or standing by the car talking to my sister while the boys yell, "Stop chatting, mom!" from inside.

I guess this is where I have to put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

And sometimes that's just lousy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that! What a BUMMER. How come it has to end? Maybe some of you can continue on???

    ReplyDelete