Tuesday, February 8, 2011

For Whom He Loves He Chastens

I've been chastened.

By Jack.

Jack is very safety conscious.  I, on the other hand, am very decor conscious.  Guess which one is more important?  Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that the man does not appreciate finding smoke detectors in the upstairs drawers.  And, yes, that was plural detectors.

And why are they in drawers, you may ask?  Our onsite safety inspector is concerned for the well-being of the residents of this home, and he is of the school of thought that if one smoke detector is good, more is better.  I, however, find it challenging to decorate around said (unsightly) smoke detectors.  They aren't always up on a wall or ceiling out of the realm of my decorating empire; no, indeed, sometimes they are on a shelf.  Right where I can see them.

And who among us, when the low battery signal begins its reign of chirping terror, hasn't done the stealth creep through the house trying to pinpoint just which one is the culprit?  I'm sure you can understand my predicament.  And so, the battery gets removed.  And, sometimes, the detector (or three) gets put in a drawer.

Duly chastened, I have now promised that:

1.  I will not just remove, but will actually replace, faulty batteries from beeping smoke detectors.

2.  I will not, under any circumstances, put smoke detectors (singular or plural) in drawers.  Apparently it significantly impacts their effectiveness.

And now, I have to go the store, as I require more 9 volt batteries.

I'll leave right after I check all the other drawers.

1 comment: