Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In my mind's eye....

he was so tall.  And handsome.  He had caught up to, if not surpassed, his father in height.  His hair was still red, although a little darker, and the boyish frame had filled out; his shoulders were broad.  The boyish softness in his features had been replaced by a more solid jaw line and the face of an adult.  A smattering of youthful freckles remained.

I had to look up at him.

"Mom, will you help me?"

And in an instant, he was 12 again.  And I was standing next to him - albeit a shorter, tween version -  helping him comb his hair.

Those glimpses into the future don't happen often for me - task-oriented by nature, schooling, household chores, the never ending to-do's - and if I am being honest, time-wasting-saving technology - occupy the moments, hours, and days, with little pause for introspection.  Even the quiet of a sleeping household is filled with mindlessness rather than just being.

But, today - in spite of the rush to get out the door - for a moment, time had flown, and I had to blink away the tears, for I had hair to comb.

No comments:

Post a Comment